|Type of position
|Description of Employer
||Bayer CropScience (BCS), a subgroup of Bayer AG is one of the world’s leading innovative crop science companies in the areas of crop protection, non-agricultural pest control, seeds and traits. The company offers an outstanding range of products and extensive service backup for modern, sustainable agriculture and for non-agricultural applications. Bayer CropScience has a global workforce of 20,700 and is represented in more than 120 countries.
Bayer’s corporate culture is an important factor in the company’s success. Central to this culture are our values: Leadership, Integrity, Flexibility and Efficiency, summarized by the term LIFE. They provide us with guidance for our daily work as we seek solutions to the major challenges of our time, in line with our mission statement ‘Bayer: Science For A Better Life”.
|Closing date of competition
|Date position available
|Description of duties
||JOB DESCRIPTION: The primary responsibility of this role, as Station Scientist I, is to focus on screening and development of crop protection molecules and products, and crop traits primarily for broad acre corn and soybean crops.
The incumbent will:
- Conduct trials in one or more indications including seed treatments, crop traits, herbicides, fungicides, insecticides and plant growth regulants;
- Design and complete all biological performance studies for compounds in the field development phase of new product discovery and development at the assigned Field Technology Station or off-station site. New product development is focused on both early and advanced stage products. Must also interpret trial data, report results, and provide recommendations for development of new or existing compounds to the appropriate management;
- Support Field Development or Technical Service by providing training on products in the pre-project and project phases and assisting with product efficacy and benefit demonstrations for the sales force and their customers. Make presentations within Bayer CropScience and on occasion to external customers for product training or at scientific meetings;
- Provide direct and indirect support of sales, with indirect support being most frequent. Direct support is provided by participating in Sales Rep training, conduct of Technical Service protocols, technical review of current, pending, and proposed new product labels, and interaction with Sales Reps. Indirect support is provided through frequent interaction with Technical Service Reps, new product development, and new use discovery for current products. Impact is primarily local with most activity occurring on station. If required by Regional Development Manager, assist Field Development and/or Technical Service Reps in development of technical product positioning for the Sales District;
- Network with peers from Marketing, Technical Service, Regional management, and Product Development management to identify new business opportunities and explore means to capitalize on these opportunities and to optimize Bayer CropScience resources. Represent Bayer CropScience in professional societies and commodity groups. When assigned by the Regional Development Manager, maintain interface with University resource personnel to keep updated on changing technology and/or pest problems;
- Be responsible for field safety in handling and storage of pesticides, and equipment used to conduct field trials. Operate Field Technology Station vehicles in a safe manner. If required, assists Field Development or Technical Service Representative in safety training on pesticide use to local Sales personnel;
- Cooperate with Field Development and Market Support teams to conduct biological trials in crops not readily available to Field Development or Technical Service locations and staff. Provide as needed support to regional field reps to minimize the impact of periodic work overloads;
- Maintain an active status in appropriate professional societies and industry groups.
||The selected candidate is required to possess the following:
- Advanced degree candidates must have a minimum of a thesis-based M.S. degree in biological or agricultural science, such as plant pathology, seed science, weed science, plant physiology, agronomy, entomology, etc. with at least three years of experience in the design, implementation, and evaluation of field research for pesticide efficacy evaluation;
- B.S. degree is acceptable for candidates with five years of relevant industry experience and who have demonstrated the ability to function at the high level of proficiency and expertise needed for this position in order to project credibility with the various contacts and diverse relationships encountered;
- Incumbent must have expertise in a pest control discipline and functional knowledge of all key crops and pests within the development region is essential;
- A working knowledge of two of the four market segments is required;
- Good communication and human relations skills are necessary to perform the duties of the position, influence decision makers and project a positive Bayer Crop Science technical image;
- Knowledge of the relative importance to Bayer sales efforts of crops in the region is required to facilitate effective priority setting;
- Capable of operating experimental and commercial spray equipment and hold a current commercial pesticide applicators license for the geographic area of responsibility;
- Ability to conduct research protocols as assigned, and have enough expertise to edit protocols submitted by Product Development Managers;
- Maintain competency and knowledge of biological organisms, current plant protection trends, competitive products, and advances in testing procedures to consistently improve the quality of the research program and to expedite the advancement of potential new compounds;
- Basic computer skills especially with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Scout are essential.
- Ph.D. degree is preferred.
Salary and grade level will be commensurate with experience and/or education level.
||Click here to apply online