LAWRENCE, Kansas – November 18, 2016 – Upcoming annual meetings of the Weed Science Society of America (WSSA) and regional weed science organizations are expected to offer new perspectives on a wide range of issues vital to the future – from how to manage herbicide-resistant weeds to new advances in weed control technologies.
The WSSA’s annual meeting is scheduled for February 6-9, 2017, in Tucson, Arizona. The wide-ranging agenda includes multiple symposia and workshops. Among the topics are:
- Precision Agriculture and Weed Science
- Understanding and Reducing the Impact of Herbicide Off-Site Movement
- Contributions of USDA ARS Area-Wide Projects to Weed Science Research and Practice
- Navigating the New Landscape of Federal Funding for Weed Science Research
- Teaching Undergraduate Weed Science: Strategies to Improve Learning
Additional details and registration information are available online at the Society’s website.
Other upcoming annual meetings include:
- Canadian Weed Science Society Meeting (CWSS), November 21-24, 2016
CWSS will hold its 70th annual meeting in Moncton, New Brunswick. One unique aspect of the program is an opening plenary session on “Forensic Weed Science.” Experts will use photographs of crop fields to review actual issues growers have encountered and discuss how to identify the cause.
A wide range of learning opportunities are on the agenda, including regulatory reports, discussions of weed management in various crops, a session on the biology and ecology of invasive and noxious weeds, and a CropLife Resistance Management Panel on how industry and academia can work together to better support resistance management on the farm. Additional details and registration information are available at www.weedscience.ca.
- North Central Weed Science Society (NCWSS), December 12-15, 2016
NCWSS will convene in Des Moines, Iowa, for its annual meeting. Further details will be posted soon at www.ncwss.org.
- Southern Weed Science Society (SWSS), January 23-25, 2017
The SWSS annual meeting is scheduled for Birmingham, Alabama. Registration information and meeting details will be posted soon at www.swss.ws.
- Northeastern Weed Science Society (NEWSS), January 3-6, 2017
NEWSS will hold its annual meeting in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It also will host the second annual Northeastern Plant, Pest and Soils Conference. Details will be posted soon at www.newss.org.
- Western Society of Weed Science (WSWS), March 13-16, 2017
The WSWS annual meeting will be held in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. Details will be posted soon at www.wsweedscience.org.
About the Weed Science Society of America
The Weed Science Society of America, a nonprofit scientific society, was founded in 1956 to encourage and promote the development of knowledge concerning weeds and their impact on the environment. The Society promotes research, education and extension outreach activities related to weeds, provides science-based information to the public and policy makers, fosters awareness of weeds and their impact on managed and natural ecosystems, and promotes cooperation among weed science organizations across the nation and around the world. For more information, visit www.wssa.net.