The Public Awareness Committee is seeking your help in coming up with a slogan for WSSA. A slogan is defined as “a short and striking or memorable phrase used in advertising.” A slogan can also be thought of as a “mini mission statement”.
WSSA’s Mission Statement:
The Weed Science Society of America, a non-profit professional society, promotes research, education, and extension outreach activities related to weeds; provides science-based information to the public and policy makers; and fosters awareness of weeds and their impacts on managed and natural ecosystems.
Some examples of slogans from other science and trade associations:
- American Phytopathological Society - “Healthy Plants – Healthy World
- American Seed Trade Association – “First – The Seed”
- American Society of Plant Biologists – “Stronger Together”
- Ecological Society of America – “The Nation’s Largest Community of Professional Ecologists”
- Entomological Society of America – “Sharing Insect Science Globally”
The slogan should be short (max 6 words), but enlightening. Please email your slogan idea(s) to Lee.VanWychen@wssa.net by Monday, June 19, 2017.
The Public Awareness Committee will narrow down the submissions to the top 5 and then the WSSA Board of Directors will make the final selection. The person who submits the winning slogan will receive free membership in the WSSA for one year!
Lee Van Wychen, Ph.D.
Science Policy Director
National and Regional Weed Science Societies
5720 Glenmullen Pl, Alexandria, VA 22303