|Description of duties
||Reporting to the Product Development Leader of the Grass Seed R&D team, the Grass Seed Research Scientist will lead the biological requirements of projects to drive innovation and complement the current portfolio for our Grass Seed business focusing primarily on grass seed products, turf establishment aides, and new variety development. The Research Scientist will scout and test new technologies, recommend and develop new products, create enticing product claims, evaluate turfgrass varieties, and identify cost saving opportunities. The Research Scientist will constantly mine the realm of technologies and match them to both articulated and unarticulated consumer needs to drive the grass seed category and our business.
The Research Scientist will work in collaboration with internal (seed production, operations, sourcing, sales, consumer insights and marketing) and external resources (university and industry personnel) to identify strengths and weaknesses of products and identify opportunities for new turfgrass varieties, products and improvements to existing grass seed products.
Key Work Performed
* Drive innovation and future direction by interacting with industry experts, universities, sources of consumer insights and regional research station experts to understand new technologies, new biological research methods, consumer trends and regional differences.
* Collaborate closely with colleagues in R&D, marketing, regulatory, sourcing, and manufacturing to ensure alignment on project goals, effective use of resources and explore innovation possibilities.
* Provide technical assistance to R&D, marketing, regulatory, sourcing, quality, and manufacturing when appropriate. Contribute to the product development team to raise overall team contributions and performance.
* Lead/mentor junior biologists on the team (Specialists and/or Technicians).
* Set project goals, direct execution of projects and evaluate progress through regular performance reviews.
* Lead and conduct professional biological research, statistical data analysis, and summarize results into research reports, position papers, etc. to deliver project deliverables such as new products, new product label claims and cost savings per established timelines.
* Develop scope of work and evaluate proposals for external research trials with outside university and industry cooperators to support product development and marketing claims.
* Nurture and develop professional relationships with university and industry personnel through electronic and oral communications and by attending and/or participating in professional meetings and field days.
* Communicate results of trials through written and verbal communication.
Ph.D. with emphasis in turfgrass science and management or MS in turfgrass field of study with significant demonstrated industry experience in product development experimentation, report development and communications.
* Experimental design, establishment, trial management, data collection, data analysis, interpretation of results and reporting of results in written and oral formats.
* Publication of peer-reviewed scientific papers related to turfgrass science a plus.
* Knowledge of turfgrass species attributes and opportunities for improvement.
* Understanding of experimental design.
* Understanding of testing methods to identify tolerance to biotic and abiotic stresses.
* Familiarity with statistical analysis of data using ARM or similar statistical analysis software.
Skills and Abilities:
* Ability to design scientifically sound experiments.
* Ability to analyze and critically evaluate data generated from experiments.
* Ability to interpret results and report in a concise format.
* Pesticide applicators license or ability to obtain within 1 year of hire.
* Familiarity with turfgrass evaluation for quality and quality components.
* Strong verbal and written communications skills.
* Ability to speak in front of large groups in lecture and field settings.
* Skill in preparing laboratory and field samples.
* Ability to operate machinery.
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company (NYSE: SMG) is the world’s largest marketer of branded consumer lawn and garden products, with a full range of products for professional horticulture as well. Scotts Miracle-Gro has helped to grow the nearly $7 billion global consumer lawn and garden market through product innovation, industry-leading advertising efforts and its trusted brands. Scotts is an EEO Employer, dedicated to a culturally diverse, drug free workplace. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Please note that the Scotts Miracle-Gro Company does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Master Service Agreement, and specific approval to submit resumes to an approved requisition, the Scotts Miracle-Gro Company will not consider or approve payment regarding recruiter fees or referral compensations.