The Terminology Committee (P22) shall:
- Consist of a Chair appointed to a five-year term, five other members, and subcommittees. One new member will be appointed annually to a five-year term. Appointments to subcommittees will be made as needed. The Herbicide Handbook Editor and Terminology Subcommittee Chairs shall be ex-officio members.
- Standardize and coordinate terminology in weed science including herbicide names, adjuvants, plant names, abbreviations, and definitions of weed science terms.
- Encourage uniformity and consistency in herbicide nomenclature by using the following guidelines:
- Follow the policy for acceptance of common names developed by the American National Standards Institute, Inc. (ANSI), 1430 Broadway, New York, NY 10018 and elaborated in document ANSI/ASC K62.1-1985 (or updated versions). The encouraged procedure for common name acceptance is initial submission to ANSI. The WSSA Representative to ANSI surveys the Terminology Committee before casting a ballot on a proposed common name. The name is not released for use in WSSA publications until ANSI approval has been received. A sponsor may submit a proposed common name directly to the Terminology Committee; however, justification for not submitting the name to ANSI is required.
- The chemical name approved for an herbicide is that identified by the Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) according to their system of nomenclature in effect since 1972, the period beginning with the ninth collective index.
- Newly approved common and chemical names will be published in Weed Technology Notes and on the back cover of Weed Science as well as distributed to regional societies and other interested parties.
- A complete list of approved herbicide names will be maintained by the Herbicide Nomenclature Subcommittee and published periodically in Weed Science.
|Name||Affiliation||End of Term|
|Miller, Tim||Ex-Off (P22b)|