- Experts Say It’s Time to Get The Facts and Take Action Against Algal Bloom
Experts Say It’s Time to Get The Facts and Take Action Against Algal Bloom WESTMINSTER, Colorado – October 16, 2017 – Scummy, smelly masses of algae have become commonplace on bodies of water across the U.S. And no community is … more »
- EPA Guidance for Herbicide Resistance Management Labeling, Education, Training, and Stewardship
The US EPA has recently published its final “Guidance for Herbicide Resistance Management Labeling, Education, Training, and Stewardship” a.k.a. Pesticide Registration Notice (PRN) 2017-2. more »
- WSSA Award Nomination Deadline Extended to September 22, 2017
Due to the recent hurricanes and other events over the past couple weeks, it has been decided to move the awards nomination deadline to Friday, September 22, 2017. This extra time more »
New Featured Articles from WSSA Journals
- When It Comes to Tillage, Timing Matters!
With herbicide resistance on the rise, more farmers are making tillage the foundation of their integrated weed management program. But new research shows that when tillage occurs can make a big difference more »
- Is Palmer Amaranth Developing Traits That Make it Difficult to Control?
Palmer amaranth is widely considered to be one of the most damaging and difficult to control agricultural weeds in North America. A lot of time and attention has been devoted to herbicide-resistant Palmer amaranth more »
- Research Shows the Impact of Invasive Plants Can Linger Long After Eradication
It is easy to assume that getting rid of invasive plants will allow a local ecosystem to return to its natural state, with native vegetation flourishing once again. But a new study featured more »
Weeds in the News
These news items are not positions nor the scientific conclusions of the Weed Science Society of America
- EPA and States’ Collective Efforts Lead to Regulatory Action on Dicamba
EPA has reached an agreement with Monsanto, BASF and DuPont on measures to further minimize the potential for drift to damage neighboring crops from the use of dicamba formulations more »
- Keep Weeds Out of the Combine This Harvest
Take the time to clean your combine to help reduce the spread of resistant weeds from field to field.When it comes to combine cleanout, have an objective, such as removing weed seeds. more »
- Why John Deere Just Spent $305 Million on a Lettuce-Farming Robot
Tractor giant John Deere just spent $305 million to acquire a startup that makes robots capable of identifying unwanted plants, and shooting them with deadly, high-precision squirts of herbicide. more »
The WSSA, a non-profit professional society, promotes research, education, and extension outreach activities related to weeds; provides science-based information to the public and policy makers; and fosters awareness of weeds and their impacts on managed and natural ecosystems. Learn more about the WSSA.