USDA-NIFA has developed a Weed Science Funding page to archive all relevant funding opportunities within USDA for Weed Science researchers. Scroll down to RELATED CONTENT section at the bottom of the page for relevant opportunities. The EXTERNAL RESOURCES section at the bottom lists previously funded projects.
For any questions on USDA grants, contact Dr. Rob Hedberg (email@example.com).
- FY 2017 USDA Grant and Partnership Programs that can Address Invasive Species Research, Technical Assistance, Prevention and Control
- USDA-NIFA-Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative (OREI) (due: Jan 19, 2017). For questions, contact Mathieu Ngouajio (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- USDA-NIFA-Specialty Crop Research Initiative (SCRI) (due: Nov 15, 2016). For questions, contact Tom Bewick (email@example.com).
- USDA-NIFA-AFRI Agriculture and Natural Resources Science for Climate Variability and Change Challenge Area (due: Nov 17, 2016; LOI due Sep 14, 2016). For questions, contact Nancy Cavallaro (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- NSF-Partnerships for International Research and Education (PIRE) (Full proposal due: Apr 24, 2017; Preliminary proposal due: Sep 14, 2016)
- USDA-NIFA AFRI Foundational Program (due: Sep 30, 2016; for questions, contact Michael Fitzner at email@example.com). In FY 2016, three of four program priorities include objectives relevant to weed scientists.
- USDA-NIFA New Frontiers in Pollinator Health (Food Security Challenge Area of the AFRI program) (closed: 2016-07-07)
- Crop Protection and Pest Management Program, Applied Research and Development Program Area (closed: 2016-06-08; for questions, contact Dr. Herbert Bolton, NIFA National Program Leader (Plant Protection) at firstname.lastname@example.org, ph:202-401-4201)
- Methyl Bromide Transition – Integrated Research, Education, and Extension Competitive Grants Program (closed: 2016-05-31; for questions, contact Dr. Herbert Bolton, NIFA National Program Leader (Plant Protection) at email@example.com, ph:202-401-4201)
- Biotechnology Risk Assessment Research Grants Program (BRAG) (closed: 2016-04-15)
- Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative (closed: 2016-03-10)
- List of previously funded projects (weed science related projects are highlighted)
- National Robotics Initiative: The Realization of Co-Robots Acting in Direct Support of Individuals and Groups (closed: 2016-03-07)
- Plant feedstock genomics for bioenergy: a joint research solicitation-USDA, DOE (closed: 2016-02-02)
- USDA Grant and Partnership Programs (view the workbook)
- USDA-NIFA (funding search)
- Grants.gov (grants database; RSS feeds; subscribe to e-mail list)
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Biotechnology Risk Assessment Program (BRAG)
- NIFA-AFRI Foundational Program
- Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative
- Specialty Crops Research Initiative (SCRI)
- Food Security Challenge Area
- NRCS Conservation Innovation Grants
- Crop Protection and Pest Management Grants
- Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education (SARE)
- Regional IPM Grants
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- US Department of Energy (DOE)
- National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF)
- United States-Agency for International Development (USAID)
- United States-Israel Binational Agricultural Research and Development Fund (BARD)
- United States-India Science & Technology Endowment Fund
- Tips for preparing better funding proposals (by Adam S. Davis)
- Weed Science Research and Funding: A Call to Action
Adam S. Davis, J. Christopher Hall, Marie Jasieniuk, Martin A. Locke, Edward C. Luschei, David A. Mortensen, Dean E. Riechers, Richard G. Smith, Tracy M. Sterling, and James H. Westwood. Weed Science. 2009. 57:442–448
- Future Research Directions for Weed Science
J. Christopher Hall, Laura L. Van Eerd, Stephen D. Miller, Micheal D. K. Owen, Timothy S. Prather, Dale L. Shaner, Megh Singh, Kevin C. Vaughn, And Stephen C. Weller. Weed Technology. 2000. 14:647–658