- Important Information
- Active Calls
- Recently Closed Calls
- List of Grant Opportunities for Weed Science Researchers
USDA-NIFA has developed a Weed Science Funding page to archive all relevant funding opportunities within USDA for Weed Science researchers. Scroll down to RELATED CONTENT section at the bottom of the page for relevant opportunities. The EXTERNAL RESOURCES section at the bottom lists previously funded projects. A list of FY 2017 USDA grant and partnership programs that can address invasive species research, technical assistance, prevention and control is available here.
For any questions on USDA grants, contact Dr. Rob Hedberg (email@example.com).
Information on NIFA funding and how to succeed in grantsmanship:
This PDF file contains slides and notes from the special session, “Navigating the New Landscape of Federal Funding”, which was held at the 2017 WSSA meeting in Tucson, AZ. It contains information and insights that should be useful to anyone planning a proposal submission. Highlights include:
- New NIFA panel organization – Many options are available for funding weed science research, some with relatively high funding rates.
- Tips for preparing your proposal – Take home message: Study the RFA, write clearly, and call the Program Leaders with your questions!
- Lessons from the 2016 panel – It seemed to work well for Weed Science. Read the Panel Manager’s thoughts on the process.
- USDA-NIFA Agriculture and Food Research Initiative-SUstainable Agricultural Systems (LOI due: June 27, 2018; full proposal due: Oct 10, 2018)
- USDA-NIFA Crop Protection and Pest Management (due: May 8, 2018)
- EPA-Environmental Education (EE) Grant (due: April 11, 2018)
- USDA-NIFA Organic Transitions Program (ORG) (due: March 29, 2018)
- USDA-NIFA Organic Research and Extension Initiative (OREI) (due: March 1, 2018)
- USDA-NRCS Conservation Innovation Grants (CIG) (due: Feb 26, 2018)
- USDA-NIFA Specialty Crops Research Initiative (SCRI) grants (preproposals due: Dec 8, 2017)
- USDA-NIFA AFRI Foundational Program (due: Sep 30, 2017). See the RFA for more details.
- $75 Million Available From APHIS. The FY2018 open period will last six weeks from July 10, 2017 through August 18, 2017.
- USDA-NIFA Crop Protection and Pest Management grants (due: May 9, 2017). For questions, contact Dr. Herbert Bolton (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- USDA-NIFA Minor Crop Pest Management Program Interregional Research Project #4 (IR-4) (due: May 1, 2017). For questions, contact Dr. Rob Hedberg (email@example.com)
- USDA-NIFA Methyl Bromide Transition Program (due: April 25, 2017). For questions, contact Dr. Herbert Bolton (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- NSF-Partnerships for International Research and Education (PIRE) (Full proposal due: Apr 24, 2017; Preliminary proposal due: Sep 14, 2016)
- The Aquatic Plant Management Society (APMS) Graduate Student Research Grant 2017 (due: April 30, 2017). The faculty member should apply for this grant towards supporting a graduate assistantship. For questions, contact Dr. John Madsen (email@example.com)
- USDA-NIFA-Biotechnology Risk Assessment Grants (BRAG) (LOI due: January 26, 2017; final proposal due: March 30, 2017). For questions, contact Shing F Kwok (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- NSF-Innovations at the Nexus of Food, Energy and Water Systems (INFEWS) (due: Mar 6, 2017)
- USDA-NIFA-Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative (OREI) (due: Jan 19, 2017). For questions, contact Mathieu Ngouajio (email@example.com)
- USDA-NIFA-AFRI Agriculture and Natural Resources Science for Climate Variability and Change Challenge Area (due: Nov 17, 2016; LOI due Sep 14, 2016). For questions, contact Nancy Cavallaro (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- USDA-NIFA-Specialty Crop Research Initiative (SCRI) (Pre-application due: Nov 15, 2016). For questions, contact Tom Bewick (email@example.com).
- USDA-NIFA AFRI Foundational Program (due: Sep 30, 2016; for questions, contact Michael Fitzner at firstname.lastname@example.org). In FY 2016, three of four program priorities include objectives relevant to weed scientists.
- USDA-NIFA New Frontiers in Pollinator Health (Food Security Challenge Area of the AFRI program) (closed: 2016-07-07)
- Crop Protection and Pest Management Program, Applied Research and Development Program Area (closed: 2016-06-08; for questions, contact Dr. Herbert Bolton, NIFA National Program Leader (Plant Protection) at email@example.com, ph:202-401-4201)
- Methyl Bromide Transition – Integrated Research, Education, and Extension Competitive Grants Program (closed: 2016-05-31; for questions, contact Dr. Herbert Bolton, NIFA National Program Leader (Plant Protection) at firstname.lastname@example.org, ph:202-401-4201)
- Biotechnology Risk Assessment Research Grants Program (BRAG) (closed: 2016-04-15)
- Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative (closed: 2016-03-10)
- List of previously funded projects (weed science related projects are highlighted)
- National Robotics Initiative: The Realization of Co-Robots Acting in Direct Support of Individuals and Groups (closed: 2016-03-07)
- Plant feedstock genomics for bioenergy: a joint research solicitation-USDA, DOE (closed: 2016-02-02)
- USDA Grant and Partnership Programs (view the workbook)
- USDA-NIFA (funding search)
- Grants.gov (grants database; RSS feeds; subscribe to e-mail list)
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Biotechnology Risk Assessment Program (BRAG)
- NIFA-AFRI Foundational Program
- Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative
- Specialty Crops Research Initiative (SCRI)
- Food Security Challenge Area
- NRCS Conservation Innovation Grants
- Crop Protection and Pest Management Grants
- Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education (SARE)
- Regional IPM Grants
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- US Department of Energy (DOE)
- National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF)
- United States-Agency for International Development (USAID)
- United States-Israel Binational Agricultural Research and Development Fund (BARD)
- United States-India Science & Technology Endowment Fund
- Tips for preparing better funding proposals (by Adam S. Davis)
- Weed Science Research and Funding: A Call to Action
Adam S. Davis, J. Christopher Hall, Marie Jasieniuk, Martin A. Locke, Edward C. Luschei, David A. Mortensen, Dean E. Riechers, Richard G. Smith, Tracy M. Sterling, and James H. Westwood. Weed Science. 2009. 57:442–448
- Future Research Directions for Weed Science
J. Christopher Hall, Laura L. Van Eerd, Stephen D. Miller, Micheal D. K. Owen, Timothy S. Prather, Dale L. Shaner, Megh Singh, Kevin C. Vaughn, And Stephen C. Weller. Weed Technology. 2000. 14:647–658