Early bird registration now available for February 7-10 event in Portland, Oregon
Early bird registration is now open for the 51st annual meeting of the Weed Science Society of America (WSSA) – an event that will focus on the latest developments in weed control research and management practices in agronomic, horticultural, rangeland environments and more.
Scientists, students, educators and professionals from around the world are expected to attend the event, which is scheduled for February 7-10, 2011, in Portland, Oregon.
“We plan to present and share research, promote awareness of critical issues, collaborate to identify new weed management solutions and enjoy the fellowship of the Society,” says John Jachetta, WSSA president.
The scientific program will feature poster sessions, a practitioner’s forum on weed management and research, and six special symposia led by some of the world’s leading weed scientists. Topics include:
- The 50th anniversary of the U.S. program to eradicate witchweed (Striga asiatica), a parasitic plant that attacks corn, sorghum, sugarcane, rice and other important crops.
- Nonchemical tactics for managing weeds resistant to herbicides.
- The significance and use of sulfonylurea herbicides in turf grass and landscapes.
- How to navigate grants and other research funding sources.
- The science of herbicide discovery.
- Advances in methodologies applied to the science of weed control.
In addition to the traditional conference program, the society will offer a pre-conference plant nursery and wine tasting tour.
Early bird rates are available to those who register before December 7. For more information or to register, visit the meeting registration section of the WSSA website: https://www.wssa.net.
Dates and locations for the annual meetings of the four regional weed science societies are:
- North Central Weed Science Society, December 13-16, 2010, Lexington, Ky.
- Northeastern Weed Science Society, January 3-6, 2011, Baltimore, Md.
- Southern Weed Science Society, January 23-26, 2011, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Western Society of Weed Science, March 7-10, 2011, Spokane, Wash.
About the Weed Science Society of America:
The Weed Science Society of America, a nonprofit professional society, was founded in 1956 to encourage and promote the development of knowledge concerning weeds and their impact on the environment. The Weed Science Society of America promotes research, education and extension outreach activities related to weeds, provides science-based information to the public and policy makers, and fosters awareness of weeds and their impacts on managed and natural ecosystems, and promotes cooperation among weed science organizations across the nation and around the world. For more information, visit https://www.wssa.net.
# # #