LAWRENCE, Kansas — February 9, 2016 – The Weed Science Society of America (WSSA) has honored 30 individuals for their outstanding contributions to the field of weed science. The awards were presented during the organization’s annual meeting, held this year in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
“Our annual awards program recognizes the many outstanding scientists who are spearheading innovations and advancing the weed science profession through their research, teaching, publishing and outreach,” said Dallas Peterson, Ph.D., president of WSSA.
This year’s winners include:
- Fellow Awards (WSSA’s Highest Recognition): Donn Shilling, Ph.D., University of Georgia, and William K. Vencill, Ph.D., University of Georgia
- Outstanding Extension Award: Shawn Askew, Ph.D., Virginia Tech
- Outstanding Teacher Award: Anil Shrestha, Ph.D., California State University, Fresno
- Outstanding Research Award: Carol Mallory-Smith, Ph.D., Oregon State University
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award: Rodrigo Werle, Ph.D. candidate, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Outstanding Paper Award, Weed Science: Seedbank and Field Emergence of Weeds in Glyphosate Resistant Cropping Systems in the United States Bryan Young, Ph.D., Purdue University, Corresponding Author.
- Outstanding Paper Award, Weed Technology: Mesotrione Activity on Crabgrass (Digitaria spp.) as Influenced by Nitrogen Fertilizer Rate, Source, and Timing (login required), Leslie Beck, Ph.D., New Mexico State University, corresponding author.
- Outstanding Early Career Weed Scientist: Jacob Barney, Ph.D., Virginia Tech
- Outstanding Industry Award: Roger Gast, Ph.D., Dow AgroSciences
- Outstanding Reviewer Awards: Thomas Mueller, Ph.D., University of Tennessee; Karen Renner, Ph.D., Michigan State University
- Public Service Award: Jill Schroeder, Ph.D., USDA/ARS Office of Pest Management Policy
- Honorary Member Award: Jose Luis Gonzalez-Andujar, Ph.D., Institute of Sustainable Agriculture, Spain
Biographical sketches of the winners are available in the 2016 annual meeting awards program, posted online on the WSSA website: https://wssa.net/wp-content/uploads/WSSA-Awards-2016.pdf.
About the Weed Science Society of America
The Weed Science Society of America, a nonprofit scientific society, was founded in 1956 to encourage and promote the development of knowledge concerning weeds and their impact on the environment. The Society promotes research, education and extension outreach activities related to weeds, provides science-based information to the public and policy makers, fosters awareness of weeds and their impact on managed and natural ecosystems, and promotes cooperation among weed science organizations across the nation and around the world. For more information, visit www.wssa.net.