- Important Information
- Active Calls
- Recently Closed Calls
- List of Grant Opportunities for Weed Science Researchers
USDA-NIFA has developed a Weed Science Funding page to archive all relevant funding opportunities within USDA for Weed Science researchers. Scroll down to RELATED CONTENT section at the bottom of the page for relevant opportunities. The EXTERNAL RESOURCES section at the bottom lists previously funded projects. A list of FY 2017 USDA grant and partnership programs that can address invasive species research, technical assistance, prevention and control is available here.
For any questions on USDA grants, contact Dr. Vijay Nandula (email@example.com).
Authors: Young et al.
Table 1. Funding opportunities for select federal agencies that focus on weeds and invasive plants.
|ARS||Areawide Pest Management Program||This is an internally funded program at ARS|
|APHIS||Plant Protection Act Section 7721||Search website|
|DOD||Strategic Environmental Research and Development Program||Link to funding|
|Environmental Security Technology Certification Program||Link to funding|
|EPA||EPA Grants||Search for weeds and/or invasive plants|
|NASA||Applied Sciences Program – Agriculture, Ecological Conservation||Browse practitioner resources, including opportunities that links to NSPIRES (NASA Solicitation and Proposal Integrated Review and Evaluation System)|
|NIFA||Agriculture and Food Research Initiative (AFRI)||Several programs, including inter-disciplinary, in plant health and production categories|
|Crop Protection and Pest Management||Link to RFA|
|Methyl Bromide Transition||Link to RFA|
|IR-4||Link to RFA|
|Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative||Search program information|
|Organic Transitions||Search program information|
|Specialty Crop Research Initiative||Link to RFA|
|DOI||Funding Guide for Invasive Species Management||Search program information|
|NRCS||Conservation Innovation Grants||This program has funded projects on weeds and invasive plants|
|NSF||Plant Biotic Interactions||A joint program with NIFA that focuses on agricultural species|
|USFS||Invasive Forest Plants||Requests for applications through the Working with Us link|
AFRI Webinars: Funding Opportunities for New Investigators (New)
Here is a LINK to the NIFA website containing recordings and reference materials from a series of new investigator webinars organized by NIFA during March 1-4, 2021. The site contains links to eight recorded webinars, including an overview of NIFA grant programs and presentations on each of the seven AFRI program areas within NIFA. Of particular interest to weed scientists is the Plant Health and Production and Plant Products Program Area.
One pager on funding opportunities with USDA-NIFA
Information on NIFA funding and how to succeed in grantsmanship:
This PDF file contains slides and notes from the special session, “Navigating the New Landscape of Federal Funding”, which was held at the 2017 WSSA meeting in Tucson, AZ. It contains information and insights that should be useful to anyone planning a proposal submission. Highlights include:
- New NIFA panel organization – Many options are available for funding weed science research, some with relatively high funding rates.
- Tips for preparing your proposal – Take home message: Study the RFA, write clearly, and call the Program Leaders with your questions!
- Lessons from the 2016 panel – It seemed to work well for Weed Science. Read the Panel Manager’s thoughts on the process.
- USDA-NIFA-Open Data Framework (due: Thursday, July 14, 2022)
- USDA- RFA Crop Protection and Pest Management (due: Monday, February 28, 2022)
- USDA NIFA Methyl Bromide Transition Program (due: Thursday, March 17, 2022)
- USDA-NIFA Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative (due: March 31, 2022)
- USDA Grant and Partnership Programs (view the workbook)
- USDA-NIFA (funding search)
- USDA-NIFA (Crop Protection and Pest Management Program RFA)
- Grants.gov (grants database; view grant opportunities; RSS feeds; subscribe to e-mail list)
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Biotechnology Risk Assessment Program (BRAG)
- NIFA-AFRI Foundational Program
- Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative
- Specialty Crops Research Initiative (SCRI)
- Food Security Challenge Area
- NRCS Conservation Innovation Grants
- Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education (SARE)
- Regional IPM Grants
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- US Department of Energy (DOE)
- National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF)
- United States-Agency for International Development (USAID)
- United States-Israel Binational Agricultural Research and Development Fund (BARD)
- United States-India Science & Technology Endowment Fund
- Tips for preparing better funding proposals (by Adam S. Davis)
- Weed Science Research and Funding: A Call to Action
Adam S. Davis, J. Christopher Hall, Marie Jasieniuk, Martin A. Locke, Edward C. Luschei, David A. Mortensen, Dean E. Riechers, Richard G. Smith, Tracy M. Sterling, and James H. Westwood. Weed Science. 2009. 57:442–448
- Future Research Directions for Weed Science
J. Christopher Hall, Laura L. Van Eerd, Stephen D. Miller, Micheal D. K. Owen, Timothy S. Prather, Dale L. Shaner, Megh Singh, Kevin C. Vaughn, And Stephen C. Weller. Weed Technology. 2000. 14:647–658