- Important Information
- Active Calls
- Recently Closed Calls
- List of Grant Opportunities for Weed Science Researchers
USDA-NIFA has developed a Weed Science Funding page to archive all relevant funding opportunities within USDA for Weed Science researchers. Scroll down to RELATED CONTENT section at the bottom of the page for relevant opportunities. The EXTERNAL RESOURCES section at the bottom lists previously funded projects. A list of FY 2017 USDA grant and partnership programs that can address invasive species research, technical assistance, prevention and control is available here.
For any questions on USDA grants, contact Dr. Vijay Nandula (email@example.com).
AFRI Webinars: Funding Opportunities for New Investigators (New)
Here is a LINK to the NIFA website containing recordings and reference materials from a series of new investigator webinars organized by NIFA during March 1-4, 2021. The site contains links to eight recorded webinars, including an overview of NIFA grant programs and presentations on each of the seven AFRI program areas within NIFA. Of particular interest to weed scientists is the Plant Health and Production and Plant Products Program Area.
One pager on funding opportunities with USDA-NIFA
Information on NIFA funding and how to succeed in grantsmanship:
This PDF file contains slides and notes from the special session, “Navigating the New Landscape of Federal Funding”, which was held at the 2017 WSSA meeting in Tucson, AZ. It contains information and insights that should be useful to anyone planning a proposal submission. Highlights include:
- New NIFA panel organization – Many options are available for funding weed science research, some with relatively high funding rates.
- Tips for preparing your proposal – Take home message: Study the RFA, write clearly, and call the Program Leaders with your questions!
- Lessons from the 2016 panel – It seemed to work well for Weed Science. Read the Panel Manager’s thoughts on the process.
- USDA- RFA Crop Protection and Pest Management (due: Monday, February 28, 2022)
- USDA NIFA Methyl Bromide Transition Program (due: Thursday, March 17, 2022)
- USDA-NIFA Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative (due: March 31, 2022)
- USDA-NIFA-AFRI Sustainable Agriculture Systems (LOI due: Jan 7, 2021; application deadline: Jul 1, 2021)
- NRCS-Regional Conservation Partnership Program (RCPP) (due: May 28, 2021)
- USDA-NIFA Supplemental and Alternative Crops Program (due: Mar 30, 2021)
- USDA-NIFA Equipment Grant (deadline: Mar 16, 2021)
- USDA-NIFA Organic Transitions Program (ORG) (due: Mar 15, 2021)
- USDA-NIFA Crop Protection and Pest Management program (due: Mar 15, 2021)
- USDA Grant and Partnership Programs (view the workbook)
- USDA-NIFA (funding search)
- USDA-NIFA (Crop Protection and Pest Management Program RFA)
- Grants.gov (grants database; view grant opportunities; RSS feeds; subscribe to e-mail list)
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Biotechnology Risk Assessment Program (BRAG)
- NIFA-AFRI Foundational Program
- Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative
- Specialty Crops Research Initiative (SCRI)
- Food Security Challenge Area
- NRCS Conservation Innovation Grants
- Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education (SARE)
- Regional IPM Grants
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- US Department of Energy (DOE)
- National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF)
- United States-Agency for International Development (USAID)
- United States-Israel Binational Agricultural Research and Development Fund (BARD)
- United States-India Science & Technology Endowment Fund
- Tips for preparing better funding proposals (by Adam S. Davis)
- Weed Science Research and Funding: A Call to Action
Adam S. Davis, J. Christopher Hall, Marie Jasieniuk, Martin A. Locke, Edward C. Luschei, David A. Mortensen, Dean E. Riechers, Richard G. Smith, Tracy M. Sterling, and James H. Westwood. Weed Science. 2009. 57:442–448
- Future Research Directions for Weed Science
J. Christopher Hall, Laura L. Van Eerd, Stephen D. Miller, Micheal D. K. Owen, Timothy S. Prather, Dale L. Shaner, Megh Singh, Kevin C. Vaughn, And Stephen C. Weller. Weed Technology. 2000. 14:647–658